Due to the COVID-19 situation, all campaigning is suspended. We are using our time and energy as Liberal Democrat members and activists all across the UK to help vulnerable people during this crisis by working with others to share information, boost volunteering and help those most in need.
Locally, we have reached out to the H&F council on behalf of our executive committee and our members offering help and support — especially as many (if not most) of us have friends and family in countries ahead of the UK on the epidemic curve and we know from them that there are difficult times ahead.
There is confusion: some of it due to poor communication from the Government and some of it due to the unprecedented nature of events. Many of us have already reached out to our neighbours and immediate community to help the more vulnerable amongst us.
Below are a few links and resources for you to access and/or share:
(1) At all times, please respect medical advice given by the NHS
(2) From the H&F council:
(3) The Hammersmith & Fulham CAN volunteer register is now open for sign-ups. The plan is that the council helps co-ordinate and assist the existing network of charities and residents.
(4) The Addison Ward police sent out this wonderful list of links and resources for mental health support, which may be of use to some of you:
(5) Cambridge University Press has just made all 700 textbooks currently available in HTML format on Cambridge Core free to access until the end of May to assist readers during the COVID-19 outbreak.
(6) For self-employed people and small businesses, HMRC has set up a hotline (phone: 0300 456 3565).
Link to government information on the Employment Support Allowance
(7) For anyone concerned about travel arrangements;
(8) This is a listing of COVID-19 information translated into lesser-known languages. Please share and add to this list for languages that are missing.
Finally, from our national party, Acting Leader Ed Davey has set up a Coronavirus Community Taskforce to coordinate our councillors', members', activists' and supporters' response. The task force will be chaired by Sir Stuart Etherington, the former Chief executive of the National Council for Voluntary Organisation, and will see local Liberal Democrats helping the most vulnerable in their areas during the crisis.
The Taskforce looks set to advise and guide thousands of Liberal Democrats right across the UK who want to ensure all those self-isolating, especially the vulnerable and elderly, get the support they need. As well as helping people with basic supplies, the network of volunteers will help share best practices and the best ideas and ensure those in their communities are able to follow the guidance being put forward.
We are going to need unprecedented levels of community volunteering to support people required to stay at home because of COVID-19.
We are in the process of calling all our H&F Lib Dem members to check what help they may need. Please do not hesitate to get in touch in you need assistance via our website or email us at email@example.com
Stay safe and look out for each other, and please feel free to reach out to us with any questions/comments/suggestions!